Skip to content

The body says “no”

November 26, 2011

Despite my determination to stick out the bad side effects of the antibiotics – it appears that my body had other ideas!

Last time I took a ten day course of the very same antibiotics, it was certainly not pleasant. My POTS flared up and my stomach pains were incredibly uncomfortable at times. I even remember phoning my GP only to be told that it would be best to stick it out if I can, as stopping them early could result in the bacterial infection growing immune to the antibiotics.

So stick it out I did, and a week after completing the course, I was experiencing a fairly normal stomach (a pure blessing after years of problems).

As you know from my previous post, I was back on the antibiotics as it appeared that the infection had come back. This time round my symptoms have been frightfully severe in comparison to last time, but I remembered the advice my GP gave last time, so put my head down, popped pain killers and tried to carry on through it as best I could.

The pain was excruciating at times. None more so than about half hour after taking the tablet. The further I got into the course, the more the symptoms grew more painful.

Wednesday night I took my evening dose around 9pm and then escaped to bed shortly after staring at the TV in pain and not actually listening to it or registering anything that was going on. Dizzy and struggling to see, I stumbled up the stairs to bed and lay crippled in pain.

I normally do a good job of coping with pain, but I couldn’t help but groan as it stabbed away inside. Eventually sweating and shaky from the pain, my POTS went into overdrive and I was soon having a seizure.

No matter how much I tried, I couldn’t stop it, couldn’t control it in the way I would normally. Then for the first time in a very very long time, I started vomiting. So we called for an ambulance.

Eventually after emptying the contents of my stomach, I started to stop shaking. The Ambulance crew phoned the out of hours doctor, who agreed that the obs were ok and that I should see my GP the following morning, but if further problems occurred, then we were to phone him back.

After a sleepless, painful, dehydrated and exhausted night, I stumbled, jelly legged into the GP surgery clinging onto mum as my own legs were not up to the task of supporting me. Fortunately the receptionists found me an empty room and I laid on the bed waiting for my appointment.

The GP checked me over and asked if I had taken the morning dose of antibiotics. When I stated that I hadn’t, he replied “GOOD!”

With my body clearly refusing the antibiotics, we decided to stop it early, and wait until Monday to review the situation. He made me an appointment to see my usual GP on Monday (he’s been away the last two weeks). So Monday I will fill him in and then we can contact Prof Aziz for his advice on how to continue. I’ll let you know how I get on, but for now, I’m just relieved not to be taking any more of those pills!

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: